Caylee Anthony Spokesman Resigns, Citing 'Erratic Behavior,' Family Says He Was Fired
A man hired to be the spokesman for the family of missing Florida toddler Caylee Anthony has quit the job, citing their "erratic behavior."
Larry Garrison was retained in August to speak to the media on behalf of the Anthonys. He resigned Wednesday, according to MyFOXOrlando.com.
"Due to the erratic behavior over the last several months exhibited by the Anthony family, Larry Garrison is resigning as their spokesperson," he said in a prepared statement.
"It is my opinion that others have manipulated them into situations that would not dignify the family. I can no longer be part of that behavior. I wish them all the peace and resolution they so deserve. The truth always comes out in the end, and in this case, 'The truth is better than the spin.'"
But Anthony family attorney Mark Nejame laughed at the statement and said it was released minutes after Garrison learned he'd been fired, MyFOXOrlando.com reported.
Nejame said Garrison was canned for pocketing money he demanded for interviews with Caylee's grandparents, George and Cindy Anthony.
Garrison charged NBC news $6,500 for the use of photos for a Dateline interview, according to an invoice released by the network. Nejame and the Anthony family say Garrison never had the pictures in his possession.
The 3-year-old girl has been missing since mid-June and is believed to be dead. Her mother, 22-year-old Casey Anthony, is behind bars and charged with her murder.
Earlier this week, two groups of volunteers looking for signs of the child called off their searches, and a bounty hunter who led one said it was time to let Caylee rest in peace.
Texas EquuSearch and bounty hunter Leonard Padilla suspended their operations after several days of unsuccessful searches for the toddler — but on Wednesday night, Padilla seemed to have a change of heart and said he would continue to hunt for Caylee's remains, according to MyFOXOrlando.com.
Click here for photos of the search from MyFOXOrlando.com.
Padilla believes that Caylee's body was dumped in the Little Econ River in Orlando, the focus of his search with a dive team Monday at J. Blanchard Park, MyFOXOrlando.com reported.
Over the weekend, Texas EquuSearch led more than 1,000 volunteers around Orange County, hoping to find the little girl in wooded areas.
People gathered at J. Blanchard Park Tuesday for a prayer service for the missing toddler led by Casey's ex-fiance Richard Grund. Two women hung up a sign that said "R.I.P. Caylee" and Padilla told MyFOXOrlando.com that it was time to say goodbye to the toddler.
The little girl's grandparents were angered by the service. Cindy and George Anthony hope that Caylee still alive.
Casey Anthony has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter and four counts of lying to investigators about the disappearance of her daughter.
She didn't report Caylee missing until July. The toddler disappeared two months shy of her third birthday.
Forensic tests released last month confirmed that hair found in the trunk of Anthony's Pontiac Sunfire came from a decomposing body. DNA evidence suggests a corpse had been in the car's trunk.
Anthony said she left Caylee with a baby sitter, but police contend that's a lie. The little girl has not been found. Authorities say she was killed.
Click here for more from MyFOXOrlando.com.
Click here for Casey Anthony's indictment.
Click here for a timeline of the Casey Anthony case.
Click here for other documents released.