KABUL, Afghanistan – The Latest on developments in Afghanistan (all times local):
An Afghan official says the last of three attackers who targeted a repatriation center in the eastern city of Jalalabad has been killed, ending an assault that left a security guard and five civilians dead.
Attahullah Khogyani, the spokesman for the provincial governor, said another 14 people were wounded in Tuesday's attack.
He says a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle full of explosives outside the compound, allowing two other attackers to get inside.
No one immediately claimed the attack, but the Taliban and the Islamic State group carry out near-daily attacks in the Nangarhar province, of which Jalalabad is the capital.
Afghan officials say casualty reports so far indicate four people were killed and eight were wounded in the militant attack underway in the eastern city of Jalalabad.
Gen. Ghulam Sanayee Stanikzai, the provincial police chief in Nangarhar, says the fighting between militants and Afghan security forces also left two policemen wounded.
Stanikzai says the militants on Tuesday targeted the government building of the refugee and repatriation department in Jalalabad, the provincial capital. Stanikzai and Gov. Hayatullah Hayat say Afghan forces killed two militants during the battle.
Attahullah Khogyani, Hayat's spokesman, says Afghan forces reacted quickly when the attack started and rescued all participants of a meeting of non-governmental organizations that was taking place in the building as well as the head of the refugee department.
An Afghan provincial official says a coordinated militant attack is underway in the city of Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province.
Zabihullah Zemarai, a member of the provincial council, says there was first a car bombing — likely an explosion set off by a suicide car bomber — near the city's provincial hospital and health department on Tuesday, followed by gunfire.
He says a refugee and repatriation department is also located in the same area of the city so the immediate target wasn't clear.
Zemarai couldn't confirm any casualties but says a heavy gunbattle is taking place between Afghan security forces and the attackers.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but both the Taliban and the Islamic State group are active in Nangarhar.
An Afghan official says a roadside bombing has killed at least 11 people on a bus, including women and children, in the country's western Farah province.
Abdul Jabar Shahiq, chief of the province's health department, says the bombing on Tuesday morning in the Bala Buluk district also wounded 31 people, all civilians.
Shahiq says the bus was on its way from Herat province toward the capital, Kabul, when it struck the roadside bomb.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the bombing but the Taliban have a strong presence in the province, especially in Bala Buluk where they often plant roadside bombs to target government officials or Afghan security forces.
Such attacks often end up inflicting significant casualties among civilians.