Officials say 600 African migrants have tried to storm the border fences separating Spain's North African enclave of Melilla from Morocco, a day after Moroccan officials announced they would dismantle the illegal camps of migrants waiting for a chance to enter Europe.

Spain's Interior Ministry said police repelled most of the migrants who tried to scramble over the fences early Tuesday, but 35 managed to make it across. Five were treated for injuries sustained in the attempt.

Morocco's Interior Ministry said Monday the state would take "all due measures" to destroy the rudimentary mountain camps thousands of migrants use while waiting for an opportunity to enter Melilla or Spain's other North African enclave, Ceuta.

Spain says 2,000 migrants crossed into the enclaves in roughly 65 storming attempts last year.