Despite hope earlier this week that guard Jonathan Cooper could return this season, the Arizona Cardinals placed the seventh overall pick of the 2013 draft on season-ending injured reserve Friday.
Cooper suffered a fractured left fibula last Saturday in a preseason game against the San Diego Chargers and had surgery the following day. First-year Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians had said on Monday that the expected the starting left guard may have been able to return in 10-to-12 weeks and the club would hold off putting him on IR.
That changed Friday as the Cardinals began trimming their roster ahead of Saturday's deadline.
"Based on the medical prognosis and weighing all of the other factors, we decided that placing him on IR made the most sense for the team and for Jonathan," said Cardinals general manager Steve Keim in a release. "Knowing his work ethic and commitment, we have no doubt Jonathan will come out of this experience fully ready to be a key contributor next season and for many more beyond that."
Wideout Mike Thomas, signed by Arizona on Aug. 20 after being released by the Detroit Lions, was among 13 players released. Rookie wide receivers Charles Hawkins and Dan Buckner were also cut, as was five-year veteran guard Chilo Rachal despite the loss of Cooper.
Defensive tackle David Carter, who appeared in 16 games last year with four starts, safety Jonathon Amaya and tight end Richard Quinn were among those with experience that did not make the Cardinals roster.
Also released were center Adam Bice, tight end Alex Gottlieb, guard Senio Kelemete, linebackers Zack Nash and Colin Parker and safety Curtis Taylor.
Arizona's roster stands at 61 players. All teams are required to be down to 53 players by 6:00 pm ET on Saturday.