Binnington stellar in goal, leads Owen Sound Attack past Kootenay Ice

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - Jordan Binnington stopped all 29 shots he faced Saturday to lead the Owen Sound Attack to a 5-0 win over the Kootenay Ice in the first game of the MasterCard Memorial Cup for both teams.

Binnington was especially strong in the second period when Kootenay outshot Owen Sound 15-6 but trailed 2-0 heading into the third. Binnington also took a shot off the mask early in the final period and needed a little time to repair a strap but wasn't injured or fazed.

Robby Mignardi and Roman Berdnikov had two goals for the Attack, while Garrett Wilson had the other. Mignardi scored shorthanded and Berdnikov and Wilson connected on the power play in the third to cement the win for Owen Sound.

But star forward Joey Hishon left the game bloodied and wobbly in the third after taking an elbow to the head from Kootenay's Brayden McNabb, who was assessed a five-minute major and a misconduct on the play.

Owen Sound outshot Kootenay 32-29 and Ice goalie Nathan Lieuwen played well despite allowing five goals.

Both teams were back on the ice after lengthy delays. The Ice played its first game since clinching the Western Hockey Leagye title against Portland on May 13 while the Attack's last contest was its overtime win in Game 7 of the Ontario Hockey Leagye final over the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors here Sunday.

Kootenay doesn't have much time to worry about the loss. The Ice are back in action Sunday night against the Majors, who lost their opening game 4-3 to the Saint John Sea Dogs on Friday.

After the Ice couldn't convert three straight power-play chances in an entertaining first period, a wide-open Mignardi scored at 16:49 from the slot. And Owen Sound's Cameron Brace narrowly missed making it 2-0 shortly after, putting a backhand off the crossbar.

Lieuwen robbed Owen Sound's Matt Stanisz early in the second on the power play to keep it a one-goal contest, but that was short-lived as Berdnikov scored at 3:30 to put the Attack ahead 2-0.

After Kootenay dominated the second, Lieuwen made a sparkling save off a streaking Hishon early in the third before Mignardi scored to clinch the victory.

Kootenay finished the regular season fourth in the Eastern Conference but posted a 16-3 playoff record en route to capturing its third WHL crown. The Ice went winless in its first Memorial Cup appearance in 2000 before winning it all in 2002.

Owen Sound finished eighth in the Canadian Hockey League's top-10 ranking and posted a 16-6 playoff record in earning the first OHL title in its 22-year history after relocating from Guelph, Ont. Head coach Mark Reeds was named the league's top coach after guiding the Attack to a 46-17-5 record, second only to St. Mike's (53-13-2).