The French Justice ministry says a suspected Islamic extremist has been mistakenly granted too much money in damages for being kept in custody before a judge eventually dismissed his case.

Farouk Ben Abbes was placed in custody in 2010 after being given preliminary terrorist charges and he sought damages when he was released after the case's dismissal, according to a ministry statement Thursday.

When the government made the 17,960-euro ($20,330) payment in February, the damages were wrongly calculated, and Ben Abbes received an extra 11,960 euros ($13,600), it said.

He had been charged in 2010 on suspicion of planning to attack the Bataclan, the Paris concert hall that was eventually attacked in November.

The Belgian-Tunisian, who's under house arrest, is still under terrorism charges in a separate case.