Police arrest a man on Tuesday who is believed to have doused two self-serve food bars with chemicals that caused multiple cases of apparent food poisoning at a South Lake Tahoe shopping mall.
Officials said 43-year-old Harry Dally was arrested after police searched his home, finding items that are believed to be related to the investigation.
The South Lake Tahoe Police Department said they believe Dally is involved in a series of incidents in which someone intentionally contaminated food at a supermarket restaurant and a Baja Fresh Mexican Grill, striking at least five times over two weeks.
A 12-year-old was hospitalized and later released after eating tainted food at the Baja Fresh Mexican Grill.
The restaurants reported that someone had come in and poured an unknown substance over food items and left. The substance is said to have had a chemical odor.
Officials say they have an idea of what the contaminating substance might be, but are withholding the information until lab tests are finished and Dally has been questioned.
Police identified Dally using surveillance footage, holding him in the El Dorado County Jail on suspicion of intentionally releasing a contaminating substance.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.