CHARLESTON, S.C. – A closed hearing on suppressing evidence in Dylann Roof's trial in the Charleston church shootings resumes later this month.
The 22-year-old Roof faces hate crimes and other federal charges in the June 2015 shootings at Emanuel AME Church in which nine parishioners were killed.
His defense attorneys want some evidence kept out of his November trial and a closed hearing was held Thursday. A notice filed by the court on Friday says that hearing will resume Sept. 20.
Earlier this week, U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel overruled objections from media attorneys opposed to closing the hearing. The judge said opening it could compromise Roof's right to a fair trial, calling it a rare case where that right outweighs the public's right to know what's happening in court.