South Carolina

South Carolina surfer's board gets chomped by shark

A South Carolina surfer had a close encounter with a shark Tuesday and has a chewed-up surfboard to prove it.

Fox8.com reported that the incident occurred at around 11:30 a.m. Jack O’Neil said he thought he hit a rock but realized he was out too far for rocks to be an issue.

“I just got up on my board and I was frantic,” he told the station. “I wanted to get out of the water as fast as possible.”

O’Neil said he was living in Charleston for almost five years and never experienced a shark in the water.