NEW YORK – Prosecutors investigating a young woman's report of being gang-raped by five teenage boys in a New York City playground have told a judge they need more time to gather evidence before they decide whether to take the case to a grand jury.
The Brooklyn district attorney's office notified the judge on Friday, the deadline for releasing the teens if there was no indictment.
Four of the teens were out of jail on Friday. The fifth was being held on an unrelated assault case.
The 18-year-old woman told police she was attacked last week after drinking beer with her father in the playground. The boys say the encounter was consensual.