The deadline came and went as Thursday turned into Friday on the East Coast, and all was quiet in Cleveland. There is no agreement between the Cavaliers and forward Tristan Thompson, and the qualifying offer that could have made Thompson an unrestricted free agent is now off the table:

As a matter of process, the Cavs originally had to offer Thompson the qualifying offer to retain his rights as a restricted free agent this summer. If he had accepted the deal, a one-year contract for $6.8 million for the 2015-16 season, he would have been set to enter unrestricted free agency next summer.

More from FoxSports

Instead, that offer has expired. Although Cleveland can put the deal back on the table, Thompson can no longer put as much pressure on the Cavaliers with the threat of becoming an unrestricted free agent after the season. The two sides can still negotiate a long-term deal, according to ESPN.com's Dave McMenamin.

Cavaliers general manager David Griffin told NBA TV on Thursday that he expects Thompson to be on the practice floor on Friday (via the Akron Beacon Journal):

"We fully expect [Friday] he'll be here in some form or fashion and we're excited to get going," Griffin told NBA TV during a live broadcast of Thursday's Cavs practice. "We're hopeful that he wants to move forward with his teammates in the same way we want to have Tristan here. If we can come to some agreement we will."

The Cavs have reportedly previously offered Thompson a five-year deal worth $80 million, but Thompson and agent Rich Paul had reportedly been seeking a max contract that would have paid the forward another $14 million over the life of the deal. Last week, there were reports that Thompson's demands had changed to a three-year deal worth a reported $53 million.

Thompson shares an agent with LeBron James, who said earlier this week that he has no interest in publicly discussing Thompson's contract status.

MORE NEWS: Want stories delivered to you? Sign up for our NBA newsletters.