These were some killer churros.
A newspaper in Chile has to fork over $125,000 to 13 people who suffered severe burns while trying out a recipe they published. Once readers fried the churros at the temperature the recipe suggested, the tube-shaped pastry would sometimes explode, sending chunks of scorching dough flying across the kitchen.
Chile's Supreme Court ordered the publishers of La Tercera that they must pay individual damages to 11 women and two men ranging from as little as $279 to $48,000 for one woman whose burns were particularly severe.
The explosions were so violent that in some cases the splashes hit the ceiling and covered the person who was cooking.
- Chile's Supreme Court
The high court's ruling was announced Monday, seven years after the readers burned themselves while trying out the recipe.
Judges determined that the newspaper failed to fully test it before publication, and that if readers followed the recipe exactly, the churros had a good chance of exploding. Grupo Copesa, which publishes the paper, said it will abide by the ruling.
"The explosions were so violent that in some cases the splashes hit the ceiling and covered the person who was cooking," the court said. "Faithfully following the recipe published in the newspaper, this damage could not have been avoided."
Days after the recipe was published in the paper's "Woman" magazine in 2004, hospitals around the country began treating women for burns suffered when the dough boiling in oil suddenly shot out of kitchen pots.
Churros are a sweet, doughy pastry snack popular throughout Latin America. They are sometimes coated with sugar or dipped in chocolate.
Based on reporting by The Associated Press.