Pressed for time but still want a hearty meal for dinner? Try out this chicken chili and cornbread combo that will leave you with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chili: 5 hours in a crockpot
Cornbread: 25 minutes
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
1 red onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes with chilies (check the spice level- I used mild)
1 packet taco seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning.
2. Place chicken on top and cover with a thin layer of the sauce and beans.
2. Cook on high for 5 hours.
4. About an hour before serving, remove chicken and shred in a separate bowl.
4. Place shredded chicken into the slow cooker and stir in to combine with beans etc.
6. Cover and place slow cooker on “low” setting for an hour to allow chicken to soak in the chili flavor
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a 9-inch round pie pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk vegetable oil, and one tablespoon of honey until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
4. Serve with extra tablespoon of honey on top
Kris Schoels is the author of Young Married Chic, a blog devoted to baking, fashion, home decor, and travel.