British Royals

Prince Philip will no longer carry out public engagements, Buckingham Palace says

Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, will step away from public life this fall, Buckingham Palace announced Thursday.

The palace said in a statement that Philip, 95, has the full support of the queen in his decision. He will continue heading numerous charitable organizations but will not play an active role attending engagements.

Earlier in the day, a report by Britain's Daily Mail of an unusual meeting of royal household staff sparked a worldwide wave of speculation about the health of the queen and Philip, including incorrect reports that the flag atop Buckingham Palace had been lowered to half-staff.

The two appeared to be in good health Wednesday. The queen met with Prime Minister Theresa May at the palace and Philip made an appearance at a London cricket club.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.