Europe

Montenegro parliament convenes amid opposition boycott

FILE - A Monday, Oct. 17, 2016 file photo of Montenegro's Prime Minister and long-ruling Democratic Party of Socialists leader Milo Djukanovic, center, speaking in his party headquarters, in Podgorica, Montenegro. Russian nationalists were behind an alleged coup attempt and wanting to kill its pro-Western prime minister because of his government’s bid to join NATO, the Balkan country’s chief special prosecutor said Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic, File)

FILE - A Monday, Oct. 17, 2016 file photo of Montenegro's Prime Minister and long-ruling Democratic Party of Socialists leader Milo Djukanovic, center, speaking in his party headquarters, in Podgorica, Montenegro. Russian nationalists were behind an alleged coup attempt and wanting to kill its pro-Western prime minister because of his government’s bid to join NATO, the Balkan country’s chief special prosecutor said Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic, File)  (The Associated Press)

Montenegrin lawmakers have convened for the first time since last month's election with opposition parties boycotting the inaugural session amid tensions over alleged foiled coup attempt orchestrated by Russian nationalists.

The session Monday in the historic capital of Cetinje was attended by 42 lawmakers in the 81-seat parliament, including members of the ruling pro-Western DPS party and allied groups.

It was held a day after a Montenegrin prosecutor said unidentified Russian nationalists were behind the election day plot to assassinate the country's prime minister and take over power because of his government's NATO membership bid.

The Kremlin has denied involvement.

Opposition parties have rejected the result of the Oct. 16 vote, claiming it was rigged. The DPS won 36 seats, followed by opposition Democratic Front with 18 seats.