Doctors are determining the next steps in former Toronto May Rob Ford’s cancer treatments as he continues to work on rebuilding his strength to resume chemotherapy treatments, his chief of staff Dan Jacobs said Thursday.
Ford’s family joined him in the hospital as he continues to battle the disease. Jacobs said Ford has had about 10 rounds of chemotherapy so far.
The Ford family has asked for privacy at this time.
Jacobs’ announcement debunked a rumor going around on social media that Ford had died, according to CP24.
Ford was thrust into the spotlight in 2013 when he acknowledged that he smoked crack in one of his “drunken stupors,” after months of denials. He refused to resign at the time.
He was diagnosed with pleomorphic liposarcoma in 2014 and underwent surgery last May to remove the tumor. In October, doctors discovered two cancerous growths on his bladder. He has been in the hospital since late February.
Doug Ford, Rob’s brother, told CP24 in October that his tumors were roughly 2 to 3 inches long and that additional rounds to chemo were necessary to determine whether surgery would be an option.
“Rob’s in a massive battle right now, and we’re just going to keep fighting and do whatever we can, leave no stone unturned, and making sure he gets as much help as he needs,” Doug Ford said, according to the Toronto Star.
Ford was forced out of his mayoral re-election bid in 2014 when doctors discovered his rare cancer. He ran successfully for council instead.
The Toronto Star reported that Ford was going to take part in a clinical trial at Mount Sinai in Toronto and would be one of the first Canadians to be treated under a new method of treatment. The method involves oncologists giving mice the same tumor to determine the best treatment for a patient by testing different drugs on the rodent.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.