AKRON, Ohio – The Latest on the case of a man charged with aggravated murder in the deaths of nine people in two fires (all times local):
An attorney representing a man indicted on aggravated murder charges in an Ohio fire that killed seven people in May and in a second fire that killed two people on the same street last year says the man maintains he's innocent.
Attorney Joseph Gorman says he and his co-counsel look forward to reviewing the evidence and defending 58-year-old Stanley Ford in court.
A grand jury on Thursday indicted Ford in the May 15 fire in Akron that killed two adults and five children. The grand jury also indicted him on new charges in an April 2016 fire that killed a man and a woman. Prosecutors say Ford could receive the death penalty if convicted.
Gorman says he and his co-counsel "don't believe the death penalty is right in any situation."
An Ohio man already charged in a blaze that killed seven people in May has been indicted on aggravated murder charges in that fire and in a second fire that killed two people on the same street last year.
Prosecutors say a grand jury on Thursday indicted 58-year-old Stanley Ford in the May 15 fire in Akron that killed seven people, including five children. He had pleaded not guilty to charges including aggravated murder after his arrest in that blaze and remains jailed on $7 million bond.
The grand jury on Thursday also indicted the Akron man on new charges in an April 2016 fire that killed 66-year-old Lindell Lewis and 65-year-old Gloria Hart and in a January vehicle fire with no injuries.
A message was left for Ford's attorney.