Roger Ailes, who built Fox News into a cable powerhouse before leaving the company in 2016, died on May 18, 2017, at the age of 77. Here are some of his more memorable quotes:
- 'Every other network has given all their shows to liberals. We are the balance.'
- ‘If you have two guys on a stage and one guy says, ‘I have a solution to the Middle East problem,’ and the other guy falls in the orchestra pit, who do you think is going to be on the evening news?’
- 'You cover the bad news about America. You do. But you don't get up in the morning hating your country. And so, until somebody shows me lines at the border trying to get out, I think there's some good news.'
- 'I don't care what the polls say.'
- 'If you have a choice between qualifications and personal qualities when it comes to hiring people, go with personal qualities. You can teach them the job.'
- 'Show me a man or a woman with a mission, and I'll show you somebody that's tougher to beat.'
- ‘Almost everything I do is related to my ability to hire good people. I don't take much of the credit myself. I think I have a good eye.’
- ‘If you're running because you want a job that's prestigious or because you have this vague knowledge that you're better than everybody else, you're easier to beat.’