CINCINNATI – A suspect who was shot in a gunbattle at a Cincinnati nightclub that killed another man and wounded 16 people died Tuesday after being taken off life support, his family's attorney said.
Deondre Davis, 29, had been hospitalized and on a ventilator after the shooting at the crowded Cameo club two weekends ago. He died early Tuesday, attorney Carl Lewis told WCPO-TV (http://bit.ly/2nzlxPU ).
Lewis said that Davis' relatives don't believe he was responsible for the deadly shooting.
"They want me to continue to fight to clear his name," Lewis told the station.
A second suspect, 27-year-old Cornell Beckley, also was charged with murder and pleaded not guilty. His attorney, Clyde Bennett II, has called the charge "a product of public outcry, social appeasement and politics" and said Beckley denies the shooting allegation.
Beckley is being held on bond of $1.7 million. Police say more arrests are possible.
The gunbattle occurred when a dispute escalated into violence while an estimated 200 people were in the club near the Ohio River east of downtown Cincinnati, police said. In 911 recordings, one woman pleading for help for a victim said there was "blood everywhere."
Authorities said one man O'Bryan Spikes, 27, died of a gunshot wound to the chest. Davis' mother has said Davis and Spikes were close friends.
The mayor has said most of the injured were innocent bystanders.
The club has since closed.
Information from: WCPO-TV, http://www.wcpo.com