HONOLULU – The mother of a boy who has been missing for nearly 20 years has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in Hawaii.
Prosecutors say Jaylin Kema's guilty plea Thursday finally provides proof the boy is dead.
Kema and her husband Peter Kema Sr. have long been suspects in the 1997 disappearance of then 6-year-old "Peter Boy" Kema.
But prosecutors say there wasn't enough evidence to charge them until earlier this year.
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Ricky Damerville said Jaylin Kema agreed in court to facts he laid out about abuse the boy suffered, her failure to get him medical treatment and his eventual death.
Damerville says Kema was afraid of her husband.
As part of her plea deal, she agreed to testify against her husband at his murder trial. In exchange, prosecutors recommended a one-year jail sentence.