CONCORD, N.H. – The Latest on the first public comments from a teen who was sexually assaulted at a New Hampshire prep school (all times local):
A prestigious New Hampshire prep school is denying there is a tradition of sexual assault at the school but acknowledged it has learned from the case of a student who was assaulted during a game of sexual conquest there in 2014.
Chessy Prout made her first public comments about the assault on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday, telling what happened to her at St. Paul's School when she was a 15-year-old freshman.
In a statement, the school said it admires Prout's courage and condemns unkind behavior toward her.
The attorney for former St. Paul's student Owen Labrie, of Tunbridge, Vermont, who was convicted of misdemeanor sex assault charges, says in a statement she is hopeful her client will receive a new trial where the "truth will be disclosed."
Labrie is free pending appeal.
A teen who was raped during a game of sexual conquest at a prestigious New Hampshire prep school says she's no longer ashamed or afraid and plans to be a voice for others.
Chessy Prout spoke publicly for the first time Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show about what happened to her at St. Paul's School in 2014 when she was a freshman.
Prout is now 17 and spoke about the case that led to the conviction last year of fellow student Owen Labrie on misdemeanor sexual assault charges.
Prout's parents have sued the school. The school has denied it could have prevented the assault.
The Associated Press normally does not identify victims of sexual assault, but Prout has now spoken publicly about the case.