The Latest on the deportation of a massacre suspect to Guatemala (all times local):

1:05 p.m.

U.S. officials have confirmed that they deported a former Guatemalan soldier accused of helping carry out a massacre of more than 160 people during his country's civil war.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Virginia Kice said Santos Lopez Alonzo arrived in Guatemala City by charter flight Wednesday and Guatemalan authorities took him into custody.

Lopez's hands were shackled as he was escorted off the plane.

The 64-year-old had fought deportation, saying he feared he would be killed in Guatemala. A court last month blocked his effort to stay in the U.S.

Lopez and three other former soldiers suspected in the massacre in the village of Las Dos Erres were arrested after coming to the U.S. years later. Two are in American prisons, and one was previously deported.

___

12:35 p.m.

Guatemalan police say a former soldier accused of helping carry out a massacre of more than 160 people in 1982 during its civil war has arrived back in the country from the United States.

Santos Lopez Alonzo had been ordered deported from the U.S. and a plane carrying him arrived Wednesday in Guatemala City, where authorities were waiting to take him into custody.

In an interview with The Associated Press last week, Lopez said he didn't kill anyone and fears he'll be tortured and killed in Guatemala.

He's one of four former soldiers suspected in the massacre in the village of Las Dos Erres who were arrested after coming to the U.S. years later. Two are in American prisons, and one was deported.

Lopez was arrested in 2010 and held as a witness in the prosecution of another ex-soldier.