BERKELEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. – Wildlife officials say a baby osprey saved in a rescue operation that was caught on video last month was recently electrocuted when it tried perching on a utility pole.
The Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/2aA1N8i) reports the bird was about 7 weeks old in mid-July when officials noticed some fishing line on its neck in Berkeley Township. Rescuers were able to remove the line a day later. They named the bird "39/D" for the identification marking on a red band that was placed on it.
But the bird was found dead about two weeks later near a utility pole, about 700 feet from its nest.
Officials say it's not uncommon for birds to die this way, noting the animals see the lines as a great place to perch near the shore.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com