LAS VEGAS – A son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy pleaded not guilty Monday in U.S. District Court, and was ordered to remain in federal custody ahead of trial on charges stemming from an armed confrontation with government agents in April 2014.
A magistrate judge told Mel Bundy and co-defendant Gregory Burleson that she believes they're a danger to the community and might resist returning to court.
They face conspiracy, obstruction, weapon offenses and assault on federal officer charges.
So far, none of the 19 people indicted in the case has been released since their arrests in recent weeks, including Cliven Bundy.
Mel Bundy's lawyer says the 41-year-old son carried a flag, not a gun.
Burleson's lawyer argues the 53-year-old Burleson has gone completely blind in recent months, suffers seizures and uses a wheelchair.