KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Latest on the man charged with murder in the killing four men in Kansas City, Kansas, and a fifth man in central Missouri. (all times local):
Authorities say a jailed Mexican national accused of killing five men earlier this week cut himself with a safety razor in an apparent attempt to take his own life.
The Montgomery County Sheriff's Department says in a statement that 40-year-old Pablo Antonio Serrano-Viterino was found to have cut himself Thursday morning in his cell and was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.
Serrano-Viterino was charged Wednesday with first-degree murder in the previous day's shooting death of 49-year-old Randy Nordman near New Florence, Missouri.
Serrano-Viterino also is charged in Kansas with four counts of first-degree murder linked to the shooting deaths Monday of his neighbor and three other men at the neighbor's home.
Missouri's attorney general says a Mexican national accused of killing one man in that state and four others in Kansas will be prosecuted first in Missouri.
Attorney General Chris Koster said Thursday that his office has been asked by Montgomery County's district attorney to assist in Pablo Antonio Serrano-Vitorino's prosecution on a first-degree murder count related to the killing Tuesday of 49-year-old Randy Nordman.
Serrano-Vitorino is also charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the Monday killing of his neighbor and three other men at his neighbor's home in Kansas City, Kansas. A spokesman for that county's prosecutor says he's unaware of any arrangement between the two states involving Serrano-Vitorino's prosecution.
But a Koster spokeswoman, Nanci Goder, tells The Associated Press that "we intend to keep him in the state of Missouri through the trial."