A motorist got more than he bargained for when he stopped at a Michigan gas station earlier this week and started a fire when he tried to kill a spider with a cigarette lighter.
Surveillance video from the Mobil gas station in Center Line shows flames quickly engulfing the man’s car and the gas pump, Fox 2 Detroit reported Friday, while adding that luckily no one was hurt.
The dopey motorist put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. He told authorities he spotted a spider on his gas tank and pulled out his lighter to get rid of it, the station said. He claimed to be deathly afraid of spiders.
“He didn’t have a cigarette. He didn’t have anything on him. All of a sudden I look out and I see flames,” employee Susan Adams told Fox 2.
Calmly, Adams hit the gas automatic stop button and quickly called the Center Line Fire Department.
The fire destroyed the gas pump. The motorist’s vehicle suffered little damage.
His stupidity didn’t stop him from returning the next day for another fill up.