Police say a golfer from Ohio has died after being stung at least 20 times by bees as he searched for a ball in woods in northern Michigan.

Michigan State Police Sgt. Mark Tamlyn says Darryl Dever of Powell was pronounced dead Wednesday after having trouble breathing.

MLive.com reports that Dever and a friend -- a doctor -- were golfing together at Treetops Resort's north course when Dever went into the woods. Tamlyn says the bees came out of the ground, stinging him at least 20 times in the head and neck.

Dever had no known allergy to bee stings, but Tamlyn noted that enough stings can be fatal even to someone without an allergy.

Treetops Resort is near Gaylord, about 200 miles northwest of Detroit.