DENVER – A Denver judge issued an arrest warrant Tuesday for a former New Mexico school administrator who faces child sex abuse charges in Colorado and violated terms of his bail when he left the state.
Jason Martinez resigned last week as deputy superintendent of Albuquerque Public Schools, where he was hired earlier this summer. He was arrested in Denver in July 2013 on suspicion of sexual assault involving two children — one who an affadavit says was assaulted while in Martinez's care and the other on a trip to Las Vegas.
One victim told police he came forward because "Jay has been touching people," the affidavit said. The children knew Martinez as Jay.
According to authorities, both alleged assaults happened in 2012 and 2013 after Martinez left Denver Public Schools in 2012, where he was a grade school principal and a district administrator.
The Denver sex abuse case does not involve children related to his employment with Denver Public Schools, district attorney's spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough said. Martinez knew the two children from family members, she said. She could not provide additional details.
The judge Tuesday also revoked two $50,000 bonds posted by Martinez for his 2013 arrest and a domestic violence arrest earlier this year in which he allegedly struck two men in a Denver nightclub district in January.
He failed to report a required address change as part of his bail, and his whereabouts weren't immediately known Tuesday morning, Kimbrough said.
She said Denver authorities contacted Martinez's attorney, Michael Meaux, to arrange his surrender, and also alerted Albuquerque police.
Prosecutors said Martinez was forbidden to leave Colorado under his bail terms. He was not required to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet after his 2013 arrest, a standard practice prior to trial.
Martinez's hire by Albuquerque schools Superintendent Luis Valentino to head the district's instruction and technology division in June called into question why safety protocols were dismissed and the appoitnment before a background check was completed.
A lawyer for Karen Rudys, the district's interim assistant superintendent for human resources, said Valentino was informed multiple times about Martinez refusing to complete his background check but ignored those concerns.
"This was a horrific breach of trust for the parents of APS," Balderas told The Associated Press on Monday. He said his office planned to investigate Martinez's hire and whether the district conducted necessary criminal background checks on other employees, but stopped short of saying if his office would seek criminal charges.
No phone listing could be found for Martinez, and a message seeking comment from his attorney, Michael Meaux, was not immediately returned.
In Denver, schools officials ran a background check with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and the Colorado Department of Education before it hired Martinez, according to district spokesman Will Jones, and the district received no complaints of misconduct in or outside its schools.
Valentino, the Albuquerque superintendent, was selected for the superintendent post in June, and the school board plans to vote Thursday on whether he should be dismissed.