The Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner ruled that the 11-year-old New York girl, who died Wednesday while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort’s miniature golf course in Orlando, died by an accidental electrocution, the Orange Lake Resorts said in a statement.
Ashton Jojo, who was visiting the Orlando area from Latham, N.Y., was retrieving her ball from a small pond about 2 feet deep when she cried out in apparent distress at about 2 p.m., Orange County Sheriff deputies said.
Another guest at the Orange Lake Resort, Christopher Burges, of Alabama, heard the girl’s screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured, authorities said. The girl later died at a local hospital.
Earlier, detectives told the Orlando Sentinel they're looking into a number of possible causes, including electrocution.
Jojo turned 11 on Friday, authorities said. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and a brother. He was also checked out at the hospital, but apparently wasn't injured, Rodriguez said.
New York girl, 11, dies after being accidentally electrocuted while playing mini golf
Chicago girl, 7, gunned down moments after getting hair styled for trip to Disney World
Man who chewed on other's face not on 'bath salts'
Houston strip clubs hit by new 'pole tax' to fund rape investigations
Utah 6-year-old who disappeared from bedroom found dead
The resort said it closed the miniature golf and will remain closed until further notice. The resort said staff will continue to cooperate with local authorities.
FoxNews.com's Joshua Rhett Miller contributed to this report.