Us

Police Commissioner Overseeing N.Y. Serial Killer Probe Reportedly Ousted From Post

  • April 7: Suffolk County Police commissioner Richard Dormer holds a news conference on the investigation in Oak Beach, N.Y. (Reuters).

    April 7: Suffolk County Police commissioner Richard Dormer holds a news conference on the investigation in Oak Beach, N.Y. (Reuters).

  • April 7, 2011: A member of the Suffolk County police search team looks through a brush area for the remains of more possible victims near the beach area of Oak Beach, New York.

    April 7, 2011: A member of the Suffolk County police search team looks through a brush area for the remains of more possible victims near the beach area of Oak Beach, New York.  (Reuters )

The police commissioner overseeing the hunt for a serial killer on New York's Long Island is expected to leave his post following allegations he botched the investigation, the New York Post reports.

Police Commissioner Richard Dormer is reportedly under fire from his boss, Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy, for publicly disclosing details in the case that only the murderer would know.

The newspaper, citing an unnamed source, reports that Dormer has only a month left on the job.

"Levy's upset, [Dormer] gave out too much information about the burlap bags, that the victims were all on Craigslist, that they were prostitutes," the source told the newspaper. "[Dormer] embarrassed the department."

But a Levy spokesman told the Post that Dormer was not ordered to resign. 

"[Levy] has not asked [Dormer] to resign. He's extraordinarily happy with . . . his work," Levy spokesman Mark Smith told the newspaper. 

Levy also released a statement, praising Dormer as Suffolk County's "best" police commissioner. 

"Rich Dormer is the best police commissioner Suffolk County has ever had, as evidenced by the reduction in total crime of over 20 percent during our mutual tenure."

The remains of 10 people have so far been found as police hunt for a suspected serial killer or killers on Long Island. Four of the victims have been identified as escorts who advertised on Craigslist. 

Investigators have said they believe a serial killer is responsible. No suspects or persons of interest have been named. 

Click for more on this story from the New York Post