BOSTON -- A utility official says a home in Boston exploded after construction crews accidentally struck a natural gas line.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

NStar spokeswoman Caroline Allen says the explosion occurred around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. She says a contractor for the Boston Water and Sewer Commission was installing a water main at the intersection of Danny Road and Reynolds Street in the Hyde Park neighborhood when the crew hit the gas line.

Gas was released into the home and it exploded.

Broadcast reports Wednesday morning showed the house completely flattened with debris spread around the area and a plume of smoke rising from the wreckage.

The house is not far from Boston Mayor Thomas Menino's home.