A nightclub owner in France has recounted the moment an electronic cigarette burst into flames in his jacket pocket.

Amine Britel was standing outside his club when his e-cigarette began sparking, with the dramatic incident caught on CCTV footage.

The incident took place just after midnight outside the Toulouse club, with the sparks quickly melting the man’s jacket.

Britel said: “All of a sudden I heard a loud bang and a noise like a flare had gone off, only ten times louder.

“And after the shock of the explosion, I realized that I had caught fire," he continued."

More on this...

He said he at first did not realize what had happened, saying: “I did not really understand what was happening to me. The pain only came afterwards.”

Emergency crews rushed to the scene, finding the man suffering serious injuries.

Click for more from the Sun.