LAUDERDALE-BY-THE-SEA, Fla. – A Florida doctor who oversaw a medical clinic where a hyperbaric chamber caught fire and killed a 4-year-old Italian boy and his grandmother has lost his medical license.
Health News Florida (http://bit.ly/1Yphwdh ) reported Monday that the Florida Board of Medicine voted unanimously last week to revoke the license of Dr. George Daviglus. He was director for a Lauderdale-by-the-Sea hyperbaric oxygen treatment center when the 2009 fire erupted, killing Francesco Martinisi and grandmother, Vicenza Pesce. Francesco was being treated for cerebral palsy.
Hyperbaric chambers infuse the blood with oxygen and can treat gangrene, carbon monoxide poisoning and divers who get the bends. Some doctors use them for neurological disorders, but there is scant evidence that works.
The 85-year-old doctor asked that he be allowed to treat the homeless, but was denied.