Whether it's a romantic getaway to the Greek Isles, or a family adventure to Peru, here’s Dr. Manny’s tips on how to stay healthy when traveling abroad.
• Use an insect repellant with more than 30 percent DEET to protect yourself against bug bites and decrease your risk of getting a mosquito-borne disease.
• Wear long sleeves and pants when you are outside at night
• If there's a risk of malaria where you are headed, start taking prescribed malaria medication before you leave, during your trip and four weeks after you return home
• Watch what you eat – avoid eating food from street vendors, unpasteurized dairy products and raw seafood. Always peel your own fruit.
• Drink bottled water, especially in foreign countries. Keep a bottle of water near your bathroom sink to use for brushing teeth.
• Don’t use ice in your drinks.
• Avoid freshwater swimming, although it may be tempting, it can carry diseases. Stick to chlorinated pools.