Print Print    Close Close

Former Vatican diplomat accused of sexually abusing minors in the Dominican Republic buried in Poland

Published January 02, 2017

Fox News
Vatican Dominican Abuse

FILE - In this March 15, 2013, Archbishop Josef Wesolowski, former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, leads a Mass in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The Vatican says Friday, Aug. 28, 2015 its former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, who has been charged by church prosecutors with sexually abusing children in the Caribbean country, was found dead in his Vatican room early Friday: the Vatican prosecutor ordered an immediate autopsy. (AP Photo/Manuel Diaz, File)

The Polish church on Saturday buried a former papal diplomat who was charged by a Vatican court of sexually abusing minors and possessing child pornography but who died before he answered the accusations.

Silence and contemplation replaced the sermon at the burial for Jozef Wesolowski in the southern Polish village of Czorsztyn, according to a report by the Polish press agency PAP. At a funeral for him at the Vatican on Monday, eight minutes of silence also replaced a homily for the disgraced former archbishop.

At the burial, fragments from a letter to family members were read out in which he declared his innocence. "They accuse of me deeds which I never committed," one of the letters said, according to PAP.

Wesolowski, 67, died in his room at the Vatican on Aug. 27 as he was awaiting trial in a Holy See court. The Vatican has said that a preliminary autopsy showed he died of a heart attack.

By the time his trial began he had already been defrocked. Wesolowski was accused of sexually abusing teenage boys while serving as papal envoy in the Dominican Republic. His trial in a Vatican courtroom began on July 11, but was hastily adjourned because he had taken ill a day earlier and was hospitalized in intensive care.

More On This...

  • Parishioners from closed, yet thriving, New York City church hope for Pope Francis miracle
  • Injured college student stranded in Cuba arrives in Tampa
  • Best pix of the week
  • Philadelphia artist’s mural to celebrate papal visit is a community affair

In the few minutes before trial was adjourned indefinitely due to that illness, the court clerk read the charges aloud. Among them was possession of what Vatican prosecutors described as an "enormous" quantity of child pornography on Wesolowski's computer. Another charge described how Wesolowski allegedly corrupted, through lewd acts, boys presumed to be between 13 and 16 years old "in order to carry out on them, and in their presence, sexual acts."

The trial was seen a highly visible way for Francis to show his determination to crack down on high-ranking churchmen worldwide accused of sex abuse of minors or of covering up such abuse by lower-ranking churchmen.

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/world/former-vatican-diplomat-accused-of-sexually-abusing-minors-in-the-dominican-republic-buried-in-poland

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ