MEXICO CITY – Mexico City prosecutors say they have arrested a man who signed off on an apparently faulty construction project that collapsed in the magnitude 7.1 earthquake of Sept. 19 and killed two women.
Prosecutors have not identified the suspect, who faces homicide charges.
But they said Monday he was in charge of ensuring the seven-story apartment building was constructed according to approved plans in 2016.
The prosecutor's office says the building's foundations didn't meet specifications approved for the site. It says the structure had "little resistance" and didn't meet specifications.
The quake killed 369 people in all, 228 of them in the capital.
Experts say recently built structures should have been able to withstand the quake.
Another suspect was arrested previously in the case.