CAIRO – Accounts from witnesses cast doubt on American suggestions that the Islamic State group was to blame for the deaths of more than 100 people taking refuge in a house hit by a U.S. airstrike in Mosul, the deadliest single incident of the campaign to retake the Iraqi city.
U.S. officials said earlier that investigations into the March 17 strike may find militants forced people into the building, booby-trapped it with explosives, then lured the strike.
But seven witnesses and survivors who spoke to The Associated Press said families took refuge in the house because it was seen as safe. They say militants set up no explosives in the building, and none reported seeing any fighters firing from the roof.
U.S. Central Command declined to comment until the investigation is completed.