Europe

German police hunt for man accused of killing boy

  • Undated photo provided by police in Bochum shows 19-year-old Martin Hesse. Police have launched a manhunt for the man who allegedly killed a 9-year-old boy in the western town of Herne and boasted about the murder on a video posted online. (Polizei Bochum via AP)

    Undated photo provided by police in Bochum shows 19-year-old Martin Hesse. Police have launched a manhunt for the man who allegedly killed a 9-year-old boy in the western town of Herne and boasted about the murder on a video posted online. (Polizei Bochum via AP)  (The Associated Press)

  • Forensic scientists enter a house in Herne, Germany, Tuesday, March 7, 2017. German police said Tuesday they have launched a manhunt for a 19-year-old man who allegedly killed a 9-year-old boy in the western town of Herne and boasted about the murder on a video posted online. (Marcel Kusch/dpa via AP)

    Forensic scientists enter a house in Herne, Germany, Tuesday, March 7, 2017. German police said Tuesday they have launched a manhunt for a 19-year-old man who allegedly killed a 9-year-old boy in the western town of Herne and boasted about the murder on a video posted online. (Marcel Kusch/dpa via AP)  (The Associated Press)

  • Undertakers lift a stretcher with a bodybag into a hearse in Herne, Germany, Tuesday, March 7, 2017. German police said Tuesday they have launched a manhunt for a 19-year-old man who allegedly killed a 9-year-old boy in the western town of Herne and boasted about the murder on a video posted online. (Marcel Kusch/dpa via AP)

    Undertakers lift a stretcher with a bodybag into a hearse in Herne, Germany, Tuesday, March 7, 2017. German police said Tuesday they have launched a manhunt for a 19-year-old man who allegedly killed a 9-year-old boy in the western town of Herne and boasted about the murder on a video posted online. (Marcel Kusch/dpa via AP)  (The Associated Press)

German police hunting for a 19-year-old man believed to have slain a neighbor's child say they have not yet found any evidence of a second crime despite an online claim.

Bochum police confirmed Wednesday that someone purporting to be suspect Marcel Hesse had boasted online of torturing and killing a woman after slaying the 9-year-old boy. So far authorities haven't found anything backing the claim, but still aren't ruling it out, the dpa news agency reported.

Hesse allegedly killed the boy Monday and then posted photos of himself next to the body on the so-called darknet, an area of the internet often used for illegal activity.

Police spokesman Dirk Sopart confirmed Wednesday that the suspect also boasted of the killing anonymously on WhatsApp, dpa reported.