Europe

The Latest: Hollande boosting support for fight against IS

Still taken from video made available Wednesday July 20, 2016, showing Nice, France, attacker Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, right, while competing in a martial arts competition in 2010.  His opponent, who asked not to be named, said he remembers Bouhlel as an novice who repeatedly made mistakes during the fight, saying he would strike with his head and elbows which are banned by the rules. The July 14 2016, Bastille Day truck rampage by Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel left at least 84 people dead. (AP Photo)

Still taken from video made available Wednesday July 20, 2016, showing Nice, France, attacker Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, right, while competing in a martial arts competition in 2010. His opponent, who asked not to be named, said he remembers Bouhlel as an novice who repeatedly made mistakes during the fight, saying he would strike with his head and elbows which are banned by the rules. The July 14 2016, Bastille Day truck rampage by Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel left at least 84 people dead. (AP Photo)  (The Associated Press)

The Latest on the truck attack in Nice, France (all times local):

1:10 p.m.

President Francois Hollande says France is sending artillery equipment to Iraq as part of increased military help to fight Islamic State extremists, after a deadly attack on Nice last week claimed by IS.

Hollande said Friday the equipment will be in place next month, as part of French efforts to boost its participation in the U.S.-led fight against IS. France has been conducting airstrikes against IS and providing military training, but Hollande reiterated Friday that France would not send ground troops.

He spoke after an emergency security meeting in Paris, his fourth such meeting since a Tunisian driver rammed through a Bastille Day event, killing 84 people. Hollande said 12 people wounded in the attack are still fighting for their lives.

___

12:10 p.m.

Authorities in Nice are protesting against a request from French anti-terror police to delete surveillance camera images of last week's deadly truck attack, amid growing questions over the scale of the police presence at the time.

The city received a letter this week from the SDAT anti-terrorism agency, obtained by The Associated Press, saying images of the July 14 attack should be destroyed.

An official with the national police said the request was motivated by concern that the images could leak and be used for jihadi propaganda. The official was not authorized to be publicly named.