KABUL, Afghanistan – The Afghan Journalists' Safety Committee says that 2016 has been the most dangerous so far for journalists in Afghanistan, with 10 news professionals killed in the first six months of this year.
A new report by the committee says 54 incidents of violence against journalists were recorded during the first half of the year, 38 percent higher than the same period of 2015.
The report, released Monday, says the incidents included killings, assaults, detentions and intimidation. It says most were carried out by "individuals linked to the government." It did not elaborate.
The Taliban were behind 30 percent of the attacks on journalists, or 16 of the 54 recorded incidents.
The also noted that the number of Afghan women playing a role in the media is falling as security worsens.