Iran's state TV says suspects detained last month in connection to a major terror plot are affiliated with the Islamic State group.

It aired footage Monday showing two suspects and identifying them by noms de guerre. It says they were recruited in Iraq, Syria and another unnamed country. It did not give the nationalities of the suspects, but they appeared to be Iranian.

It says the two began planning attacks in Tehran in 2015 and were to receive $1 million for each one. The attacks were to be modelled on the complex assaults carried out in Paris and Brussels.

Last month Iran said it had detained 10 suspects and broken up one of the biggest terrorist plots ever hatched on its soil, involving 50 planned bombings in the capital.