STOCKHOLM – The Latest on Europe's response to the influx of asylum seekers and migrants (all times local):
The International Organization for Migration says it fears that some 320 people remain missing and are presumed drowned following a shipwreck off Crete last week.
The IOM says accounts from survivors who were taken to Augusta, Italy after Friday's shipwreck indicated that about 650 people were on board. The organization said rescue crews had also recovered nearly a dozen corpses.
There have been conflicting reports about the numbers. The Greek coast guard Monday that survivor accounts indicated that about 350 people were on board.
At a U.N. briefing Tuesday in Geneva, IOM spokesman Joel Millman said: "Greek authorities apparently told our office in Athens that they had not a chance to talk to survivors," none of whom were taken to Greece.
Sweden has launched a commission to analyze government agencies' response to last year's record influx of 163,000 asylum-seekers.
Interior Minister Anders Ygeman on Tuesday said the purpose is to "learn from what happened" and improve the ability of authorities to deal with a similar situation.
After Germany, Sweden was the top destination for asylum-seekers entering Europe last year, with almost 80,000 arriving in October and November alone.
The government took measures to stem the flow in late 2015 and early 2016, including by introducing border checks designed to stop undocumented migrants from entering Sweden from Denmark and Germany.
Since then the number of new arrivals has dropped sharply.
The commission is to present its findings no later than Feb. 28, 2017.