RABAT, Morocco – Morocco's Interior Ministry says investigators have dismantled a nine-member cell linked to the Islamic State group in Libya that was in the final stages of preparing "terrorist operations" in the North African kingdom.
The ministry statement, carried by the official MAP news agency, said the nine were arrested on Thursday in four regions, including the tourism city of Marrakech.
The statement gave no details on what type of operations might have been planned. It said the group was also planning to head to Libya to join Islamic State group training camps to gain "combat experience."
The statement said one other person from the Sidi Bennour region — one of the places where arrests were made on Thursday — had been killed in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, last September.