A spokesman for a Tunisian court says that authorities have authorized an investigation into the deaths of Tunisians during last week's U.S. airstrike on an Islamic State group training camp in neighboring Libya.

Kamel Barbouche said the green light was given on Monday for the probe into Friday's attack on the camp near Sabratha, not far from the Tunisian border. Local Libyan officials said more than 40 people were killed -- mostly Tunisians -- and many others injured. The strikes targeted extremist Noureddine Chouchane, a Tunisian national, the Pentagon has said.

There was no certainty that Chouchane was killed.

The Tunisian probe aims to find out "who is dead and who is still alive," Barbouche told the AP.