GENEVA – A U.N. spokesman says the resumption of Yemen peace talks won't take place this week as originally hoped, following renewed fighting and air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition.
Ahmad Fawzi told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday that Yemen envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed wants the talks to resume in the region but is facing delays in his efforts to broker an agreement on a location.
A first round took place in Switzerland last month. Fawzi said the Jan. 14 target for the resumption was no longer "viable" and Ahmed was now "looking for a date after the 20th of January."
Yemen's conflict pits the government, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, against Shiite rebels known as Houthis. The U.N. estimates nearly 2,800 civilians have been killed in the fighting since March.