A French prosecutor says investigators see no links between a man who rammed his car into four soldiers guarding a mosque in the southeastern city of Valence and "a terrorist network or terrorist act."

The man was stopped Friday when a soldier fired and wounded him. France is on high alert after the coordinated attacks by Islamic extremists in Paris on Nov. 13.

Prosecutor Alex Perrin said Saturday "so far it seems to be the act of an individual."

Perrin said the 29-year-old French citizen of Tunisian descent was a practicing Muslim not reported as radicalized. His motives remain unclear.

No weapons or explosive devices have been found inside his car.

The man, who is still hospitalized, could be charged with "attempted murders against persons holding state authority."