VALLETTA, Malta – The Maltese government says the manager of a Maltese-owned hospital in Libya who was abducted in Tripoli has been freed after a week in captivity.
The government said Tuesday that Pierre Baldacchino, 36, had been freed on Monday by Libyan forces, based on information provided by the Maltese and Libyan secret services. The government said no ransom was paid and gave no information on the identity of the kidnappers.
Baldacchino, manager of the St. James Hospital in Tripoli, was kidnapped Dec. 14 as he returned home. He was the third abducted Maltese citizen in Libya over the last 18 months. Both of the previous victims also had been working in Libya; one was released after 11 days in captivity and the other after 47 days.