Burkina Faso's military says that members of the unit that staged a short-lived coup are refusing to disarm.

The joint chiefs of staff issued a communique on Monday saying that the disarmament process has reached an impasse. They also accused the coup leader of being ambiguous.

Under a peace deal brokered last week, members of the presidential guard unit are supposed to be disarmed and remain in their barracks.

As a result, members of the military who had come from around the country in a show of force agreed to withdraw from the capital.

Authorities said that presidential guard members found to have played significant roles in the coup are to face trial, while others will be reintegrated into the army.