KUWAIT CITY – Kuwait says 29 people will face trial for last month's suicide bombing of a Shiite mosque that was claimed by the extremist Islamic State group.
The Kuwait News Agency reported Tuesday that those facing trial include seven Kuwaitis and 13 "illegal residents" — a reference to Kuwait's "bidoon" community made up largely of desert nomads considered stateless by the government. Also facing trial are five Saudis, three Pakistanis and a fugitive whose nationality is not yet known.
They face a range of charges such as illegally possessing explosives, incitement to violence and joining an extremist group.
The June 26 bombing killed 27 worshippers and wounded at least 200. Saudi authorities said earlier this month that the kingdom was holding three Saudi brothers in connection with the attack in neighboring Kuwait.