Congo's national electoral commission says it has updated the country's electoral list to reassure voters ahead of local and provincial elections this year.

Flavien Misoni, executive secretary of the Independent National Electoral Commission, said the nearly 200,000 voters who had been omitted from 2011 elections were integrated into the new register of more than 30 million people. He said Friday the 18-month operation cost about $30 million dollars.

Commission spokesman Jean Pierre Kalamba said the operation "was intended to reassure the public" before local and provincial elections in October.

The commission says it has invited the international organization of French-speaking countries to externally audit the electoral role.

Presidential elections are slated for November 2016. The 2011 vote gave Joseph Kabila a second term, but was widely criticized as fraudulent.